Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ridin' dirty - Free State style

They see me rollin' they hatin'.....gonna catch me riding dirty...ridin' dirty in the Burg. Very appropriate song playing in my head this morning as I drove through the dusty streets of Sasolburg today...

So I am ridin' dirty in my beloved "Blauw Besie" (my little blue devil car that has been so fondly christened by my sweetheart) through the mean streets of the Burg past remnants of dust, discarded papers, pamphlets, damaged property and trash all owing to the unhappy folks of Zamdela, who voiced their concerns on a matter regarding the merging with another municipality last week, by partaking in some violent protesting.

The Blauw Besie is ridin' dirty a lot these days as I stay in Vaal Park better known by the locals as "Vuil Park" due to the pollution in the air by steel, electricity and gas production (and a few other things we don't want to know about) in the area. Today is a sad and happy day as the Blauw Besie is no longer a Cape Tonian but a Freestater, better known as "VRRRRYYSTATER"! As I had to re-register my little car in the province today, so now I am totally legit and no longer a foreigner :)

Table Mountain  and ocean view (Cape Town)



Industrial bushveld view (Sasol Eco Park, Sasolburg)

The longest part of my journey was finding the ever illusive vehicle license department in a small town where there is basically one shopping centre in the CBD with pretty much all the major businesses. I must admit very conveniently located in a central area.

As surprised as you will be to find out that it was quite difficult finding this place and it required directions from various sources (as there is not a clear address available on the municipality's website for the vehicle license department). It seems that EVERYONE in Sasolburg uses the Standard Bank as a point of reference, according to the directions I received everything is within walking proximity from the Standard Bank. This is true but not in all cases, well, if you can find the Standard Bank in the first place which is inside the shopping centre. After today I am not very fond of the Standard Bank in the Burg. Oh and it is in the brown building situated on the 1st floor. Let's say I think I have become very familiar with all the brown buildings in the area and to note there isn't just one as was explained. Needless to say after much driving, uttering of profanities, impatience, sweating and directions from various sources I found the place. It is situated across from the Indaba Hotel above an ABSA (please note not the Standard Bank).

In short, the Blauw Besie and I had not really prepared ourselves for the quick and abrupt reality of having to change from a black and white Western Cape number plate to a green and yellow Free State one with a cheetah on it. It was understandable that we were both a bit deprezzles about it and I might have cried a bit walking back to the parking lot with my Free State number plates under my arm. The car guard was a bit concerned for my well being you know with the crying after visting the vehicle license department, but I had to man up I am Free Stater now!

It would be cuter though if they can put a little red panda on the number plate someday...even if it wouldn't make any sense. I just like pandas, which I will tell you all about next time... ZOMG it's a red little panda on my number plate!


 Cheetah on Free State number plate


Red little panda growling....so cute



Bouf
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment